Friday, August 8, 2014

Make a dream last

I am listening to Jasmine Thompson sing Let Her Go.

Open the link in another tab if you want to sit with me for a bit.

If you're here with me, perhaps we can discuss the lyrics, and how they speak to your circumstances.
Or, maybe we can just silently listen together, sharing the experience without giving or taking a thing.
However we enjoy it, I am blessed that we get to enjoy it together, no matter how much distance in space or time separates us.

What brought you here?
I want to know more about you. I believe that what brings us to this place speaks volumes about the people we are right now, now that we're here.

Has the song repeated yet?
If it has, does it sound any different the second time?
Is it annoying, or does it change as you change?
Does it grow on you, or are you growing into it?
I'm asking because she's on her third or fourth pass for me, and I hardly hear the words this time. Instead, my passion rises and falls with the tone of her voice.
It is a wind, ebbing and flowing.

I catch a line:
"Everything you touch surely dies."
I've heard that as an accusation in the past.
I've heard this song as an accusation that I'm doing it wrong, killing my dreams.
It has always told me that I should have appreciated what I had while it was here, and that I am a fool for only now seeing what I've given up.
But, as my heart changes, so does my hearing.
It's still true that everything dies, but I am no longer being accused.

I change the song, but not the artist. Now, I'm listening to Rather Be.

If you have someone or something in mind to whom you wish to apply this song, then I welcome you to share that if you want.

For now, for me, I apply it to my inner peace.

She sings: "We staked out on a mission to find our inner peace."
Peace runs deeper than our momentary happiness.
Peace is what sustains us when we are thrashing violently in the throws of grief or anger.
Peace is our comforter when we can no longer stand, and we are collapsed on the floor just trying to breathe.
Inner peace is there with us, even when "we're a thousands miles from comfort."
Do you feel your inner peace? Do you taste it as you breathe? Do you feel its gentle hand moving up your spine?
Is there anyone with whom you are sharing your inner peace?
Is it something you give them? Is it something they take? Or, have you found that it can only be shared between two or more who have it?

Please, listen again. I'll be here with you if you choose to.
Or, we can move on to a new song...