Saturday, September 13, 2014

For That Warm and Fuzzy Feeling

I'm not a Christian anymore. Nor am I looking to return to Bible thumping. Nonetheless, there are some verses that still come to mind that speak to my current situation, and I'll catch myself flipping open a Bible to remind myself exactly how they read.

Like fortune cookies and horoscopes, the Bible has plenty of content that is so generic it can resonate with any situation. That's what I call great marketing!



“Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"
- Matthew 6:27

Um… no. In the literal sense, it's an obvious biological question. As sage advice, however, it's essentially telling the reader to stop worrying about things that can't be controlled.

I get hung up on worrying often, and I find myself in need of advice like this. It's not because the answer isn't obvious. It's because I just need encouragement that I am going to be okay.



The fundamental problem with generic advice, though, is that it doesn't really apply to you at all. Sure, it might be so plain that you can wiggle it into your own context and feel great about it. But, generic input does not know the nuances of your actual situation, so there's a chance that you are just packing baloney into crevices meant for more substantial things.

If I'm ever looking for a warm and fuzzy feeling, I know I can always crack open a fortune cookie, read a horoscope, or flip open a Bible to one of those feel-good verses. However, if I'm looking for real encouragement, and real feedback on my current situation, I have found that my friends and loved ones are the best resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment