Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Objectification

Sitting across from my best friend today, I had just confessed that I had spent the early part of my relationship with him objectifying him.

Objectification is a term I had always associated with seeing and treating women as sex objects, but it had recently occurred to me that I was also a habitual objectifier of the men in my life. They had career achievements and various skills that I envied and coveted, and I found when reflecting upon past and present relationships with other men that I had objectified them and used them, leaching off of their professional and personal successes.

In response, my friend suggested my past relationships might have so frequently expired because I was using and objectifying instead of truly loving and intimately relating with others.

I initially thought I agreed with his conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment